- Thurs March 23, 2017
- 5:30pm-7:00pm in H-1267 (Urban Lab)
- Food will be provided 🍴
- Followed by GA-CHILL (drinks etc) at a location TBD by vote!!
The proposed agenda for the General Assembly is posted here. Feel free to submit items to the agenda, such as endorsements, to email@example.com until March 19th.
- endorsements (causes to support)
- amendments to the by-laws (the rules that Geograds is run by)
- resolutions for the Geograds Council (for example, resolve that Geograds only buy fair-trade coffee)
- resolutions to bring to the Department or the University (for example, calling on them to remove investments from fossil fuels or make Indigenous studies mandatory to graduate)
- ………We can even vote on a name for our inflatable palm tree!
Geograds Council NOMINATIONS:
In accordance with our bylaws, we announce the nomination period for Geograds Council positions 2017-2018. Nominations for Geograds Council will be presented at the General Assembly.
- Nomination period (7 days): March 16, 2017 – March 23, 2017.
- Uncontested positions will be acclaimed at the General Assembly on Thurs, March 23, 2017.
- If contested, a campaign period of 3-business-days will be followed by a ballot vote on Weds, March 29, 2017.
- Successful officers begin their positions on June 1st 2017.
To nominate yourself for a position (see below for list of positions):
- Print and complete the nomination form (download here)
- Collect at least three signatures from registered graduate students of the GPE department (MSc, MEnv,DEA, PhD).
- Present completed nomination form to the General Assembly on March 23, 2017.
ELIGIBILITY FOR ELECTIONS:
- Candidates must be registered in the MSc, MEnv, DEA or PhD program in the Department of Geography Planning and Environment, and be a student in Good Standing with the Office of the Dean.
- Candidates must not be graduating within the term of the position (i.e. June 1 2017 – May 31, 2018)
- VP Communications / Secretary
- VP Social and Events (MSc)
- VP Social and Events (MEnv/DEA)
- VP Internal (MSc)
- VP Internal (MEnv/DEA)
Duties as described in the GEOGRADS By Laws. Note that duties can be shared if agreed upon by fellow officers:
- Act as President of the Board of Directors.
- Act as Chairperson at all regular Council meetings, and at GEOGRADS General Assemblies.
- Arrange for the annual General Assembly to be held the subsequent academic year, irrespective of their presence therein.
- Oversee the day-to-day management of the GEOGRADS, and ensure all other Council members are performing their duties as defined below.
- Direct the implementation of Council resolutions.
- Act as the liaison between the GEOGRADS and the GSA, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, and all external organizations.
- Be the official spokesperson of the GEOGRADS.
- Publish an Annual GEOGRADS report summarizing the GEOGRADS achievements and activities during the term.
- Have authority to create committees and delegate unto them the powers and task that he/she chooses.
- Carry out any other duty the council deems associated with the role of the President.
- i. Act as Vice-President of the Board of Directors of the GEOGRADS corporation.
- ii. Assume responsibilities of President in the absence of the President.
- iii. Recording and distributing minutes at all regular Council meetings, and General Assemblies.
- iv. Be the GEOGRADS archivist and ensure the continuity of the Association’s institutional memory.
- v. Publishing a newsletter at least twice in each of fall and winter semesters.
- vi. Developing online media and working with the media to advance causes that council deems important
- vii. Carrying out any other duty the council deems associated to the communication function.
- Act as Treasurer of the GEOGRADS corporation.
- Chairing the Budget Committee meetings.
- The custody of all records, ledgers, receipts, or documents belonging to, or dealing with the financial affairs of the GEOGRADS.
- The GEOGRADS accounting process and of all receipts and disbursements.
- The administration of funds according to the GEOGRADS and for the preparation of all financial statements.
- Carrying out any other task the Council deems associated with the Association’s finances.
- Managing the Graduate Lounge.
- Organizing guest lectures and other extra-curricular events.
- Organizing social functions.
- Carrying out any other duty the Council deems pertinent to the V.P. Social and Events portfolio.
- Serving as the GEOGRADS liaison with the faculty, staff, and undergraduate student associations within the Department of Geography, Planning and Environment.
- Coordinating Geography, Planning and Environment graduate student representation on the University’s academic and administrative organs, along with the President.
- Carrying out any other duty the Council deems pertinent to the V.P. Internal Portfolio