At the general assembly held 16/02/12 quorum was met and maintained for the duration of the meeting. An unlimited strike mandate was passed.
What does this mean?
1. It means we have agreed upon conditions that must be met in order to have a strike vote and to mobilize student action.
2. It means a paper ballot vote will take place within 72 hours ( 3 business days) of meeting the conditions.
3. It means you will receive notice of when and where this vote will take place and there will be an 8 hour window for voting.
4. It means if the paper ballot vote results in a majority (50% +1) in favour of a strike that within 24 hours of the ballot count a general assembly must be called for the purpose of motivating student action and to coordinated strategic action with other striking associations
5. It means if a strike is undertaken weekly general assemblies will be called for the purpose of addressing the status of the strike and if actions should continue.
6. It means if the paper ballot vote results in a majority (50% +1) in opposition to a strike that within 24 hours of the ballot count a general assembly must be called for the purpose of addressing the issue of if a new mandate shall be called.
7. It means you will be getting updates via email from GEOGRADS as this process unfolds.
8. It means that if you are not informed about the issues you still have time to ask questions and to get them answered before a strike vote takes place. Please check out our website at https://geograds.wordpress.com/ for links and information about the issues. Also please feel free to email questions to Concordia Geograds at firstname.lastname@example.org or if you see one of the officers passing in the halls just ask in person.
What it does not mean.
1. It does not mean a strike has been called because of any actions at the meeting.
The full motion as voted on reads:
“Motion: undertake an open-ended strike with weekly GAs when the province wide
floor of university students with a strike mandate reaches 50 000 which includes
3 Concordia associations one of which must be GUSS the geography undergraduate
student society, and voting will take place within 72 hours (3 business days) after the
above conditions are met by paper ballot with an 8 hour window for voting at the
Grad Lounge (H-1236); and within 24 hours of the paper ballot vote results the
GeoGrads call a GA to discuss logistics of the strike, notwithstanding previous
This motion passed with:
A motion to join the Coalition large de l’Association pour une solidarite syndicale etudiante (CLASSE) which is an association for solidarity among student unions also passed. Additionally GEOGRADS elected three delegates to represent our interests with CLASSE.
The motions as voted on read:
“Whereas the Coalition large de l’Association pour une solidarite syndicale etudiante
(Association for Solidarity among Student Unions) (CLASSE) is temporary coalition of CEGEP and university student associations from accross Quebec joining together to oppose the tuition hike of 75% that the Quebec government wishes to enact;
Be it resolved that GEOGRADS become a member of CLASSE in order to represent the
interests of GEOGRADS members at the national level, including the governement of
Quebec, once negotiations between CLASSE and the government begin,and in order to
more effectivly oppose the tution hike by accessing shareded resoureces and working in
collaboration with other student assocations opposed to the tuition hike;”
Motion that Annelise Grube-Cavers, Rushdia Mehreen , & Shaun Weadic be the GeoGrads delegates to CLASSE.
Your GEOGRAD officers